Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Dream

I had the strangest dream last night. I dreamt that I was a young man again and that I had traveled through time to the year 2030. It wasn't until I saw a whole lot of propeller driven airplanes crashing all around me, that I started to ask the people that happened to be around me what year it was. I saw my younger brother, he was alive and young again, he was crying. I ran to him to ask him what was going on. He ran from me and disappeared into the crowd. After the planes were done falling, everyone got on one knee and started to pray. A loud speaker explained that prayer was no longer an option, but instead kindly reminded the crowd that prayer was mandatory.

I took a knee, and out the corner of my eye looked around in horror. Everyone had there heads down, and eyes shut hard. In my ear an echoing Orwell was saying, "I told you so."

I ran for it. I ran across a field and they chased me.

I escaped. I hitchhiked.

I got into a car driven by an old man. I asked him what was going on, why everything had changed. He didn't know what I was talking about. He couldn't remember when things had been much different. He pitied me and thought I was crazy. But the old man drove me far out to the country so it would be harder to find me. I asked him about the possibility of time-travel. He told me I was crazy.

The old man driving the car was me.

We found a small town with a well developed main street. We went window shopping. When the loud speakers turned on again, and kindly asked us to get on one knee, we did. We prayed to God.

2 comments:

Laura S. said...

What if our "dreams" are real life and being "awake" is really our dreams?

Theo Blanton said...

Cogito ergo sum, Laura!